Sunday, November 8, 2009

Say Your One of Them by Uwem Akpan

This was another book that I had seen written up in many different places. I wasn't sure I wanted to read it since it was a collection of short stories, but I decided to give it a try. I am glad I did. It really was like nothing else I had read. All of the stories are told from the view points of children in Africa. The first story is called "An Ex-Mas Feast" and is about a family trying to save enough money for Christmas. The second story is called "Fattening for Gabon" and is about two children that are being sold into slavery. The next story is called "What Language is That?" which is about two children from different worlds trying to be friends. "Luxurious Hearses" is about a boy on a bus trying to hide his identity during a crisis. The final story is called "My Parents' Bedroom" and is the powerful story about a girl and her family in Rwandan during an unspeakable time. This book is hard to read sometimes because of the names used, but I think worth it. It isn't easy subject matter to read about, but they are all things that are happening in our world and I think we need to know about them. Give it a try!

No comments: