Sunday, April 5, 2009

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

This was one of those books that kept appearing on many lists of books to read. It was featured in People, Entertainment Weekly, and the Minneapolis Star Tribune. I also saw it featured on the Amazon website and the Barnes and Noble website. I figured I'd better give it a try since it was on so many lists. I loved this book! It is not an easy read at about 500 pages, but well worth the time you will spend on it. I was disappointed when I was done and still think about the story and the characters. The story begins with the birth of twins to a nun and a surgeon who helps deliver the twins. The mother dies during child birth and the father leaves right after the birth. The twins are left to another doctor that works in the hospital where they are born. The book covers the lives of the twin boys as they grow up in the hospital and both eventually become doctors themselves. The story is very detailed, but quite interesting at the same time. It has a slow steady beginning, but builds page after page to an emotional and gut retching ending. I was pretty wiped out after closing this book. This is one of the best books I've read in several months. Please give it a try! I know you won't be disappointed.

No comments: